Not a stranger to their steamed mussels, I ordered my usual favourite toppings: coriander and lemon. Y-U-M-M-O. I’ve always enjoyed Mt Eden’s De Fontein branch – the food is consistently tasty and service is great (I can’t say the same for Takapuna’s De Fontein – you can read my review there). My friend had the Flemish stew – and it was delicious too (clean plates were the evidence of the day!).
We have been regulars for many years
Love the place
But our last few visits have been marred by poor service
Also the menu has seemed tired
The place is still very good fun but needs attention
Ate as a pre-booked party of 17 We were crammed in a corner and the service both drinks and food was very slow. As always the food was good and the beer up to the usual standard. Would not recommend dining as a big group. Staff were charming but overextended.
Very nice food and beer, enjoy the night there. The service was good and the atmosphere was fantastic.
Good, but beer a bit pricey.
I like all the belgian beer cafes in Auckland and this one is no exception. Sometimes we take advantage of the half-priced mussels (on Mondays) which are delish and you can’t beat the belgian beer! The only thing to make it a 5* place would be the seating arrangement/atmosphere/decor…not sure what it is but it doesn’t have quite the same “feel” as the other belgian beers..I think it might be because the entrance breaks up the bar into two halves and you have to go upstairs to find more seating, which lets be honest who can really be bothered doing.
A place i frequent and love, the staff are always nice (some better than others) but always nice and efficient, their beer knowledge is great (as expected from staff in a beer cafe)!! their food is consistently better than the other belgian beer cafes and better value (yes i have tried the others a few times)..
The venue is brill and atmosphere is always pleasant one thing i will say is, beware of mondays, they do their signature mussels for half price and boy do they get a massive crowd in, though they seem to never falter on quality you should expect a wait but patience rewards you with a great feed! iv read the reviews on this place and while some are quite damming i would recommend this place to anyone, its great!
De Post used to be a highlight of Mt Eden Village, but I believe it has unfortunately severely dropped in standards. The last three times I have dined here for a quick lunch with my mother or grandfather, both Mt Eden locals, I have been disappointed, so much that the last time I decided never to return. The tables were greasy, the service ineffective, and the food overpriced for such average bland fodder.
Have been going to Depost for the past month or so. My husband is very keen on the beers and i am a huge fan of mussels so after our visit to Belgium, having Depost within walking distance is a blessing. We find the service is prompt, food delicious, a great variety of belgian beers, friendly staff and the young man managing at night is very pleasant and often has us laughing.
I recommend trying the mussels. My husband loves the dark beer on tap. Thumbs up
Wish I had have read the recent reviews here before I visited! The food is lovely, as long as you have all night!
* Only ordered 2 entrees for a group of 7, but got 1. After asking twice about where the other one was, the eventual response was “are you sure you ordered it?”
* Another hour passed and still no mains (or the missing entree). Queried 3 times with our waiter who didn’t come back to respond until we asked again. Eventually went inside and complained. Still no action.
* After 1.5 hours, asked to speak with manager. After complaining, received food within 10 minutes. Her service was excellent, and she gave us the meal free of charge.
Unfortunately too little too late – would rather have paid for the meal and enjoyed some service!
Thought it was perhaps a one off terrible experience, but based on recent reviews, it seems to be the norm.
A real shame – great food but appalling service. Won’t be back as it’s an embarrassment to take people there.
Average pub. Belgian beers were all a bit pricey, especially considering the service. The waitress that served us was rude and after spilling beer on my clothes she wasn’t even apologetic! With my clothes smelling like alcohol for the rest of the night it was a huge let-down.
Went to De Post yesterday and they have added a new outdoor area to the side. Was lovely sitting outside having a meal and a few drinks. The meal was really nice and came out quickly + our waiter was very on to it
One of favourite restaurants in Auckland! go there nearly every Monday night for half price mussels. Every time the mussels are delicious and the frites and aioli are amazing!! the staff are so friendly and nice would defiantly recommend it great value for money!!
I always love the incredibly flavoursome seafood at these Belgian beer cafes. De Post provided another outstanding experience, with a wickedly delicious Seafood Chowder for our lunch – great value at $14.
The decor is really cool. I love all the woodwork around the historic-styled building, and we enjoyed our window seat upstairs overlooking Mt Eden Rd.
My partner was loving his crepe (he got the $20 lunch deal which meant he got a glass of Blonde Beer included).
We had an efficient and friendly waiter, who served our drinks and meals promptly, and provided a bit of fun banter. Also helped me choose the Seafood Chowder which he very rightly described as amazing.
An excellent spot for a scrumptious lunch.
Had a bad experience with this restaurant. Went there for dinner with my parents. Took about 50 minutes for the food to arrive. The place wasn’t even full and they had plenty of staff working that night, so I have no idea why it took so long, had to ask the waitress twice to check on our food.
This has been my worst ever dining experience.
1) left a msg requesting a reservation. Didn’t hear back and when I called back, was advised that they were having problems with their answer service.
2) arrived and placed our orders. Drinks were served promptly, waiter was pleasant and attentive.
3) 45 mins later, the waiter arrived back at our table and advised that our meals were ready but that they did not have calamari which 3 of our table had order. Alternate orders were taken from these 3 diners and 2 of meals were then served.
3) the poor waiter came back and with another meal and advised that the kitchen had just advised that they did not have any Seafood Waterzooi, which had been ordered. I requested to speak to the manager.
4) after about 10-15 mins manager arrived with the other 3 meals and then asked to speak to the last diner, who had no meal. He also advised that he would not be charging for these 3 meals. I spoke to him and advised that it was unacceptable to be told just before serving that meals were unavailable and that whilst he had waived the charge for the 3 meals, that this was the minimum he could do and he should consider waiving the charge for the other meals as the other guests had been embarrassed and inconvenienced. He didn’t comment and asked me what meal I would like. I asked what could be provided as soon as possible and made my selection from this. He told me that he would get my meal as soon as possible and offered another drink. Subsequently, the waiter arrived and also offered our table free drinks.
5) My salad Nicoise arrived – it had boiled eggs & bacon, salad leaves, bean sprouts, no dressing. These apparently were the ingredients listed on the menu, however, I thought a salad nicoise had salmon, anchovies and olives. Not this one.
6) when we went to pay for our meal, we were charged for the 3 meals that arrived initially and some drinks and the Waterzooi dish which never eventuated. I told the manager that our experience from start to finish was a disaster and being charged for a meal which didn’t arrive, just left a bad taste in my mouth. He apologized for our experience and said he would take care of the bill. We left.
I am so disappointed and angry that what should have been a pleasant evening with friends was marred and spoilt by this incredibly bad level of service. Shame on you De Post, my take away provides better service and food than this. I will definitely not be frequenting this place again.
I am only giving it 1star as its not possible not to give any stars – 1 star is too much for our dining experience tonight.
It was my birthday so I thought I’d go out for dinner with my partner, my Mum and two friends. We arrived at De Post at approx 6.45 on a Monday night (which apparently when they do specials on mussels) and were told that they could fit us in which I was really happy about. We were sat at a good table upstairs, with menus straight away. Our drink order was taken promptly and come reasonably quickly. For entrées I ordered the herb and garlic loaf and my partner ordered the mixed platter of mussels. For mains the orders were Vol-Au-Vent chicken x2, pork belly, aoraki salmon and beef ravioli. And for drinks for ordered a bottle of the Ned Sauvignon Blanc.
About half an hour later the loaf arrived. I was given the loaf on a plate – no extra plates were given for my fellow eaters. The bread was ok but was very crusty which made it very hard to cut. The mussels then followed 40 minutes later after several queries with our waiter, which he promised he was chasing up with his manager. There was only one waiter serving about ten tables and he was trying to do a great job, however his manager kept on giving him stern words which all the patrons could easily see. I was told the mussels were great, however we could not figure out what took the kitchen so long to get them out. At approx 8.40 we finally got our meals (two hours after we arrived!) and the vol-au-vents were luke warm (although tasty), the pork belly had tons of fat on it and salmon was tiny. The ravioli was piping hot and looked more like soup than a pasta dish.
At the end of finishing our bottle of wine, we realised that we had actually been served a Pinot Gris! It tasted great but again a reflection of the poor service.
I told the waitress at the counter when we were paying that we were not happy about how long we had to wait. However, we were still charged for everything without an apology from the managers.
So all in all this was the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. The meals were tasty however the service has definitely put me off from returning, I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
Enjoyed our Monday Mussel Mania night =) was expecting a crowd but we arrived @ 7.30pm and were promptly seated. Excellent service (well the waitress we had was!), beer was lovely, mussels just perfect and the fries with mayo divine… Recommend one garlic/herb loaf between two though as it is a big serving… that’s coming from someone who loves bread! Only problem we had was that we were so full afterwards we had no room for dessert…
Good for casual beer and mussels with friends, but the service is always a touch pretentious, and there’s an awkward atmosphere around the bar. Would not go expecting a seriously good meal. Limit the food intake to accompany the marvelous beer only.
Definitely the best of the Belgian bar chains. Food is always good and service is fast and the staff very friendly and helpful. Would recommend
What a fun place to go. Beer, beer and more beer in all styles and all flavours. And with our beer, mussels, grilled with European style toppings. The only problem is that having to drive home afterwards, we need to limit the brew.
Judy and David
Powered by menumania.co.nz