Reviews for Peony Restaurant
by Danny Lam
Apr 15, 2013
Peony Restaurant definitely is at the top of Eastern Chinese Restaurants.
I have to stress the strength of presentation at this restaurant: not many Chinese restaurants outside of China make the effort to have nice looking food, but Peony does it quite well. The pork belly aspic dish was one of my favourite, it was meaty without being 'pork-y' and was delightful to look at.
Every dish, even the ones that are meant to be pungent and spicy were so clean tasting. Their pork broth is delightful; however some of the lighter dishes should not be eaten after the more flavourful ones because the tongue does not deal with the sudden contrast well and it will taste underseasoned. I made the mistake of trying the hot oil fish soup before eating the pork balls in broth.
As a whole, Peony restaurant is definitely not what it seems, as a small restaurant that is placed beside a petrol station and is nearly invisible to passers by.
I am planning on visiting again; I do not believe I have encountered a better Eastern (Jiangsu, Zhejiang) Chinese restaurant.
- Ham: What is it and why is it festive?
- The best summer parties in Auckland (+WIN)
- Canvas best reads of 2014
- Lesbians earn more than straight women - but gay men are penalised
- Helpful tips to stay safe during the summer break
- Cutest pictures of Prince George 2014
- Is obesity a disability? European court says yes
- Worst killers of Kiwis changing
- Bowel cancer screening a 'no-brainer'
- New Zealand lags behind Australia in cancer survival rates